Many people are hesitant to get braces, even if they are unhappy with their smiles and want to straighten their teeth. The fact is, metal braces can often be inconvenient to wear.
Invisalign clear braces, on the other hand, are removable, which is why patients often find the Invisalign system to be a much more convenient and easier-to-use treatment method. There are several reasons why it’s better to wear braces that can be removed!
No Need to Change Your Diet
- Certain foods are off-limits for patients who wear metal braces. Anything that can get stuck in the braces (such as chewing gum and taffy) or break a bracket (hard or crunchy foods – think pretzels, popcorn, or biting into an apple) is not allowed. Patients also often need to cut their food into smaller pieces to avoid damaging their braces.
- Rather than using metal wires and brackets, the Invisalign system uses clear, plastic aligners that are custom-made to fit over the teeth. Because Invisalign aligners are taken out before eating, patients who wear them do not have to avoid certain foods. People who use Invisalign can eat the same things as someone who is not undergoing orthodontic treatment – they just need to remember to put the aligners back in after the meal.
Easier Oral Hygiene
- Patients often find that flossing and brushing thoroughly is more difficult with metal braces. It can be tough – and time-consuming – to keep the teeth clean when the patient is trying to work around the braces. Good oral hygiene is especially important while a patient is wearing braces – without proper cleaning, decay can develop around the braces and even leave stains that show after the braces are removed.
- Because Invisalign aligners are removed before brushing and flossing, patients are able to clean their teeth thoroughly with ease. Invisalign wearers do not have to worry about decay and stains around their braces – in fact, people who use Invisalign can add whitening gel to their aligners to get even more beautiful results.
More Convenient Orthodontic Treatment
- Unlike metal braces, which are bonded to each tooth and must eventually be removed by a dentist/orthodontist, Invisalign aligners can be removed by the patient at any time. The Invisalign system gives patients full control over their orthodontic treatment.
- Because the aligners aren’t attached to the teeth, patients do not need to have the braces adjusted. Instead, they simply switch to a new set of aligners every two weeks.
Patients who want a straighter smile no longer have to deal with the inconveniences that come with wearing traditional braces. Invisalign clear braces are removable, making them the easier and more convenient choice. To learn more about how you can get a straighter smile with Invisalign, schedule your complimentary consultation with Dr. Bernuy at Bernuy Orthodontic Specialists, an Invisalign provider in Austin, TX.