5 Myths About Braces Explained
Over the past several decades, there’s been giant advances in orthodontics. Many changes to how braces move the teeth have caused some people to become confused. Changes like these can lead to myths wherein these people believe something that may not be true. It is important to have a clear understanding of the truth behind these myths. Here are five myths along with some braces tips.
1. Braces are a permanent solution.Many people believe that once your teeth are adjusted by braces, that they are permanently in position. Many factors can cause the teeth to shift after braces are removed. Retainers are often worn at night by those that have had their teeth straightened via braces.
2. Braces work immediately.Some believe that braces will start moving their teeth into proper position immediately. The changes that begin happening to the teeth are often imperceptible at first. For some, new spaces may arise to space teeth out properly before straightening them.
3. Braces pick up radio signals.This one always makes us chuckle. TV shows and movies have used the silly notion that braces and fillings can pick up radio stations. Some younger patients see this and think the same will happen to them. This is a total myth.
4. Braces always hurt.A lot of people are under the assumption that braces hurt all the time. While there may be some discomfort when you first get them and occasionally after an orthodontic appointment, braces don’t always hurt.
5. Braces are only for teenagers and children.While many people do get braces when they are in high school, anyone can get braces at any age. Adults should never let this myth get in the way of their desire to have straighter teeth. It’s never too late to get the smile you always wanted.